Baggage Handling Systems (BHS) Operator
Operates and monitors all Greater Orlando Aviation Authority maintained Baggage Handling Systems, carousels, and baggage claim devices to facilitate the timely delivery of baggage to the correct destination. Coordinate and/or implement baggage contingency plans within BHS operations as needed. Ensure compliance with the Department of Homeland Security's regulations and requirements. Document and update information in maintenance and operational databases. Dispatch GOAA and/or contracted staff in clearing bag jams, motor overloads, starter faults and in troubleshooting and resolving problems in a timely manner. Assist in ensuring that equipment is properly maintained. Maintain accurate information of daily events in the Operations Activity Reporting System. Conduct inspections of the conveyor/baggage systems. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree or two (2) years post-secondary technical education in a related area and four (4) years experience in electronic monitoring and related troubleshooting of sortation systems, distribution systems, assembly systems or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Airline, airport, or baggage systems experience is desirable.
- Must exhibit an understanding of the technical and mechanical fundamentals of sortation systems, distribution systems, and assembly systems.
- Must have intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft office suite.
- Must have demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, make appropriate decisions and follow-up to confirm issues are resolved in a timely manner and in the best interest of the customer.
- Must have excellent oral and written communications skills, multi-lingual skills desired. Must be capable of properly operating filed communications equipment and speaking clearly in English when operating such equipment.
- Must have the ability to multitask, work independently, establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, fellow employees and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Must have analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail and a high degree of proactive/reactive ability.
- Must have strong customer service skills, effective time management and organizational skills.
- Valid Florida driver's license required.
- Must be able and willing to work rotating shifts, early mornings, late evenings, holidays, and weekends.
The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority offers a comprehensive benefits package.
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, Sick and Personal Leave Days
- Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Wellness Programs
- Short Term Disability Plan, Long Term Disability Plan and Life Insurance
- Education Reimbursement (Full-time Employees Only)
- Hybrid Work Schedule (for applicable positions)
- Shift Differential (for applicable positions) 2nd Shift - $0.85 per hour & 3rd Shift - $1.00 per hour