Auto Bodily Injury Major Case Specialist
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$91,800.00 - $151,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general supervision, this position is responsible for investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving assigned serious and complex Auto Liability claims. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, litigation management, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. Provides consulting and training and serves as an expert technical resource to other claim professionals, business partners, customers, and other stakeholders as appropriate or required. This position does not manage staff.
What Will You Do?
- CLAIM HANDLING:
- An experienced MCS may have up to reserve/estimate authority of generally $500,000 and payment/settlement authority of $500,000 and generally $500,000 -$2 million total file exposure (full value without regard to coverage or liability defenses).
- Directly handle assigned severe claims.
- Provide quality customer service and ensure file quality, timely coverage analysis and communication with insured based on application of policy information to facts or allegations of each case.
- Directly investigate each claim through prompt and strategically-appropriate contact with appropriate parties such as policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies, witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts to determine the extent of liability, damages, and contribution potential. Interview witnesses and stakeholders; take necessary statements, as strategically appropriate.
- Complete outside investigation as needed per case specifics.
- Actively engage in the identification, selection and direction of appropriate internal and/or external resources for specific activities required to effectively evaluate claims, such as Subrogation, Risk Control, nurse consultants nurse consultants, and fire or fraud investigators, and other experts.
- Verify the nature and extent of injury or property damage by obtaining and reviewing appropriate records and damages documentation.
- Maintain claim files and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Utilize evaluation documentation tools in accordance with department guidelines.
- Proactively review Claim File Analysis (CFA) for adherence to quality standards and trend analysis.
- Utilize diary management system to ensure that all claims are handled timely.
- Establish and maintain proper indemnity and expense reserves.
- Apply the Company's claim quality management protocols, and metrics to all claims; document the rationale for any departure from applicable protocols and metrics with or without assistance.
- Develop and employ creative resolution strategies.
- Responsible for prompt and proper disposition of all claims within delegated authority.
- Negotiate disposition of claims with insureds and claimants or their legal representatives.
- Recognize and implement alternate means of resolution.
- Manages litigated claims. Develop litigation plan with staff or panel counsel, including discovery and legal expenses, to assure effective resolution and to satisfy customers.
- Actively and enthusiastically share experience and knowledge of creative resolution techniques to improve the claim results of others.
- Consult with Manager on use of Claim Coverage Counsel as needed.
- Provide guidance to underwriting business partners with respect to accuracy and adequacy of, and potential future changes to, loss reserves on assigned claims.
- Recommend appropriate cases for discussion at roundtable.
- Attend and/or present at roundtables/ authority discussions for collaboration of technical expertise resulting in improved payout on indemnity and expense.
- OTHER ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Apply litigation management through the selection of counsel, evaluation and direction of claim and litigation strategy.
- Track and control.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree or Juris Doctorate or Paralegal Certification from an ABA-Certified program preferred.
- 5+ years bodily injury litigation claim handling experience.
- Advanced level knowledge in coverage, liability and damages analysis and has a thorough understanding of the litigation process, relevant case and statutory law and expert litigation management skills.
- Extensive claim and/or legal experience and technical expertise to evaluate severe and complex claims.
- Able to make independent decisions on most assigned cases without involvement of supervisor.
- Thorough understanding of business line products, policy language, exclusions, ISO forms,
- and effective claims handling practices.
- Openness to the ideas and expertise of others actively solicits input and shares ideas.
- Strong customer service skills. - Advanced
- Demonstrated coaching, influence and persuasion skills.- Advanced
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required so as to understand, synthesize, interpret and convey, in a simplified manner, complex data and information to audiences with varying levels of expertise.- Advanced
- Strong technology aptitude; ability to use business technology tools to effectively research, track, and communicate information. - Advanced
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Advanced
- Job Specific Technical Competencies:
- Analytical Thinking - Advanced
- Judgment/Decision Making - Advanced
- Communication - Advanced
- Negotiation - Advanced
- Insurance Contract Knowledge - Advanced
- Principles of Investigation - Advanced
- Value Determination - Advanced
- Settlement Techniques - Advanced
- Legal Knowledge - Advanced
- Medical Knowledge - Intermediate
What is a Must Have?
- High School Degree or GED required with a minimum of 5 years bodily injury litigation claim handling or comparable claim litigation experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.