General Liability Major Case Specialist
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$91,800.00 - $151,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general supervision, this position is responsible for investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving assigned serious and complex General Liability claims. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, litigation management, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. Provides consulting and training and serves as an expert technical resource to other claim professionals, business partners, customers, and other stakeholders as appropriate or required. This position does not manage staff.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. 3 days in office/2 days remote.
What Will You Do?
- CLAIM HANDLING:
- Directly handle assigned severe claims when Travelers has coverage of $2 million or less and file exposure is greater than $500,000.
- Provide quality customer service and ensure file quality, timely coverage analysis and communication with insured based on application of policy information to facts or allegations of each case.
- Consult with Manager on use of Claim Coverage Counsel as needed.
- Directly investigate each claim through prompt and strategically-appropriate contact with appropriate parties such as policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies, witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts to determine the extent of liability, damages, and contribution potential. Interview witnesses and stakeholders; take necessary statements, as strategically appropriate.
- Complete outside investigation as needed per case specifics.
- Utilize evaluation documentation tools in accordance with department guidelines.
- Proactively review Claim File Analysis (CFA) for adherence to quality standards and trend analysis.
- Utilize diary management system to ensure that all claims are handled timely. At required time intervals, evaluate liability and damages exposure.
- Establish and maintain proper indemnity and expense reserves.
- Recognize and implement alternate means of resolution.
- Manages litigated claims.
- Develop litigation plan with staff or panel counsel, including discovery and legal expenses, to assure effective resolution and to satisfy customers.
- Attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Update appropriate parties as needed, providing new facts as they become available, and their impact upon the liability analysis and settlement options.
- Recognize cases, based on severity/complexity protocols, that should be transferred to another level of claim professional and refer on a timely basis.
- Evaluate all claims for recovery potential; directly handle recovery efforts and/or engage and direct Company resources for recovery efforts.
- May assist underwriting business partners in marketing and account contact efforts.
- Attend and/or present at roundtables/ authority discussions for collaboration of technical expertise resulting in improved payout on indemnity and expense.
- Share experience and deep knowledge of creative resolution techniques to improve the claim results of others.
- Actively provide mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim professionals to increase the technical expertise and improve bench strength.
- Provide guidance to underwriting business partners with respect to accuracy and adequacy of, and potential future changes to, loss reserves on assigned claims.
- Recommend appropriate cases for discussion at roundtable.
- OTHER ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Apply 'advanced' litigation management through the selection of counsel, evaluation and direction of claim and litigation strategy
- Track and control legal expenses to assure cost-effective resolution.
- Appropriately deal with information that is considered personal and confidential.
- Fulfill specific service commitments made to certain accounts, as outlined in Special Account Communication (SAC) instructions and inquiries from agents and brokers.
- Represent the company as a technical resource; attend legal proceedings as needed, act within established professional guidelines as well as applicable state laws.
- Share accountability with business partners to achieve and sustain quality results.
- May be responsible to research and evaluate current information regarding trends in the law; digest and communicate this information to other Company departments and divisions to assisting underwriting and management decisions.
- May participate in periodic file quality reviews.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements.
- Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated. Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- 5-7 years bodily injury litigation claim handling experience.
- Advanced level knowledge in coverage, liability and damages analysis and has a thorough understanding of the litigation process, relevant case and statutory law and expert litigation management skills.
- Extensive claim and/or legal experience and technical expertise to evaluate severe and complex claims.
- Able to make independent decisions on most assigned cases without involvement of supervisor.
- Thorough understanding of business line products, policy language, exclusions, ISO forms, and effective claims handling practices.
- Technical ability/working knowledge of virtual tools (zoom, skype, etc)
- Openness to the ideas and expertise of others actively solicits input and shares ideas.
- Strong customer service skills. - Advanced
- Demonstrated coaching, influence and persuasion skills.- Advanced
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required so as to understand, synthesize, interpret and convey, in a simplified manner, complex data and information to audiences with varying levels of expertise.- Advanced
- Strong technology aptitude; ability to use business technology tools to effectively research, track, and communicate information. - Advanced
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Advanced
- Job Specific Technical Competencies:
- Analytical Thinking - Advanced
- Judgment/Decision Making - Advanced
- Communication - Advanced
- Negotiation - Advanced
- Insurance Contract Knowledge - Advanced
- Principles of Investigation - Advanced
- Value Determination - Advanced
- Settlement Techniques - Advanced
- Legal Knowledge - Advanced
- Medical Knowledge - Intermediate
What is a Must Have?
- High School Degree or GED required with a minimum of 4 years bodily injury litigation claim handling or comparable claim litigation experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.