Unit Manager Auto Liability Major Case
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$101,600.00 - $167,600.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general direction and as a member of the local management team, this position is responsible for product quality and performance of severity the claim Auto Liability team handling serious and complex commercial lines and personal liability claims. Provide direction and technical guidance through a continuous process of management involvement and frequent claim file review and extensive litigation management. Serve as a field representative for the Home Office Auto Liability product area, as requested. Reinforce the Auto Liability Vision, Strategies, and Objectives through word and action. Select, lead, mentor, performance manage and develop staff. This job manages staff.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- An experienced Auto Severity UM will have reserve/estimate authority up to $1,000,000 and payment/settlement authority up to $750,000. (NW & ED notes) and oversees the handling of severe and/or complex claims up to a full value of generally $2 million.
- Employ proper claim handling techniques to protect the integrity of our brand and providing consistent service quality and streamlined processes to add value for our customers.
- Provide face-to-face and written guidance to ensure effectiveness, engagement, accuracy and efficiency.
- Review new notices, ensuring claims are assigned to staff with appropriate skill sets.
- Conduct quality file reviews per office/ best practices guidelines.
- Establish/ follow up on file reviews per diary instructions, conducting additional reviews (i.e. 180, 360 day reviews), as necessary.
- Attract, Retain and Develop World Class Talent:
- Proactive recruitment of talent; work with management to establish and implement a strategic staffing strategy.
- Manage staff performance; implement strategies and plans to address staff development; identify and address training needs on an ongoing basis; provide frequent performance feedback.
- Work with management to develop and implement effective training, performance development and succession planning.
- Effective retention planning; proactively manage and respond to turnover.
- Effectively utilize reward system to distinguish top performers and significant achievements.
- Ensure timely referral to Home Office large loss for cases with full exposure greater than $2 million. Oversee the development and employment of creative resolution strategies for complex files effectively utilizing all appropriate resources.
- Ensure timely and appropriate reserves.
- Develop and implement strategies and initiatives to improve file quality, expense management, investigations, subrogation, structured settlement, and litigation management.
- Participate in severity round table.
- Drive the Information Advantage.
- Successfully leverage data, management information and technology to identify business drivers and trends and make the most of opportunities to support business strategies and improve results.
- Achieve Optimal Solutions.
- Focus on resolution and process improvement, fulfilling all obligations while maximizing cost effectiveness, helping the business understand drivers, trends and product stress points and helping our partners attract and retain business
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, business partners, customers, agents, regulatory agencies and others to achieve organizational goals and create better outcomes.
- Participate in business meetings and agency visits as required.
- Operate within agreed upon expense budget to achieve optimal business results through productivity, appropriate resource allocation, inventory management and loss adjustment expense.
- Partner for Mutual Success.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
- Claim management experience preferred.
- Skilled in coverage, liability and damages analysis and has a thorough understanding of the litigation process, relevant case and statutory law and expert litigation management skills. Extensive claim and/or legal experience and the technical expertise to evaluate severe and complex Claims.
- Leading the Business:
- Drive Results
- Leads Change
- Executes Business Strategy
- Leading Others:
- Attract Top Talent
- Maximize Individual Performance
- Holds Others Accountable
- Aligns Rewards
- Creates and Sustains a Dynamic Workplace
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of 5 years litigation and severity claim handling experience with at least 10 years of total claim experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.