Workers Compensation Benefit Management Analyst
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$43,900.00 - $72,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under moderate supervision, manage Workers' Compensation Claims with: Stable Lifetime Indemnity and/or Medical Benefits where the medical expenditures are not expected to exceed $6,000 annually and there are settlement opportunities. Death Benefits Payment of Award only Minimal active/pending litigation, including mediation As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- Manage and resolve stable lifetime claims.
- May use structured settlement/annuity as appropriate for the jurisdiction.
- Manage existing offsets, including apportionment, contribution and subrogation.
- Facilitate timely claim resolution by leveraging any mitigation opportunities.
- Establish and update reserves to reflect claim exposure and document rationale.
- Work in collaboration with specialty resources (i.e. medical and legal) to proactively pursue claim resolution opportunities, (i.e., structured settlement, discontinuation of benefits through litigation). Collaborate with our internal nurse resources (Medical Case Manager) in order to integrate the delivery of medical services into the overall claim strategy.
- Apply knowledge to determine causal relatedness of medical conditions.
- Negotiate settlement of claims within designated authority.
- Proactively manage inventory with documented plans of action to ensure timely and appropriate file closure or reassignment.
- Manage cases telephonically with an emphasis on maximizing quality and controlling costs through aggressive case resolution.
- Review, approve and issue accurate and timely indemnity, medical and expense payments for lifetime/long-term claims.
- Determine Value of Claim.
- Complete required letters and state forms and any other documents as required.
- Establish and maintain incurreds which reflect the exposure of the claim, and document a clear reserve rationale.
- Apply coverage (limits, endorsements).
- Determine and apply offset/contribution from 3rd party, second injury fund, liens, etc.
- Develop and Execute Resolution Strategy.
- Determine and actively develop ongoing strategic plans for resolution as required and when a significant event impacts the claim.
- Utilize and manage resources as necessary to resolve outstanding issues.
- Communicate and complete denials on medical and indemnity issues.
- Manage inventory to ensure timely file closing or timely reassignment if necessary.
- Settlement Evaluation and Negotiation.
- Evaluate and document a detailed settlement analysis, value and range within settlement authority.
- Execute negotiation strategy and communicate status.
- Identify and evaluate the need for Allocation or Medicare Set Aside and make appropriate referral.
- Customer Engagement.
- Participate in Telephonic and/or onsite File Reviews.
- Respond to inquiries - verbal and written.
- Keeping injured worker apprised of claim status.
- Engage specialty resources as needed.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Maintain Continuing Education requirements as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- College degree highly preferred.
- Analytical Thinking: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities; analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues; identifies cause/effect relationships; and explores alternative solutions that support sound decision-making.
- Communication: Expresses, summarizes and records thoughts clearly and concisely orally and in writing by applying proper content, format, sentence structure, grammar, language and terminology. Ability to effectively present file resolution to internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Negotiation: Basic ability to understand alternatives, influence stakeholders and reach a fair agreement through discussion and compromise.
- Working Insurance Contract Knowledge: Interprets policies and contracts, applies loss facts to policy conditions, and determines whether or not a loss comes within the scope of the insurance contract.
- Principles of Investigation: Introductory investigative skills including the ability to take statements. Follows a logical sequence of inquiry with a goal of arriving at an accurate reconstruction of events related to the loss.
- Value Determination: Basic ability to determine liability and assigns a dollar value based on damages claimed and estimates, sets and readjusts reserves.
- Settlement Techniques: Basic ability to assess how a claim will be settled, when and when not to make an offer, and what should be included in the settlement offer package.
- Legal Knowledge: Working knowledge, understanding and application of state, federal and regulatory laws and statutes, rules of evidence, chain of custody, trial preparation and discovery, court proceedings, and other rules and regulations applicable to the insurance industry.
- Medical knowledge: Working knowledge of the nature and extent of injuries, periods of disability, and treatment needed. Understanding of when to utilize a medical resource is needed.
- WC Technical:
- Basic ability to demonstrate understanding of WC Products and ability to apply available resources and technology to resolve claims. Demonstrate a clear understanding and ability to work within jurisdictional parameters within their assigned state.
- Customer Service:
- Advanced ability to build and maintain productive relationships with our insureds and deliver results with optimal outcomes
- Advanced ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result
- Planning & Organizing: Intermediate ability to establish a plan/course of action and contingencies for self or others to meet current or future goals
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED and one year of customer service experience OR Bachelors Degree required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.