Nurse Case Manager - Worker's Compensation - South Region
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
If you're a registered nurse looking for a new opportunity to work in a fast-paced, professional environment where your talent contributes to our competitive edge, Liberty Mutual Insurance has the opportunity for you. Under general technical direction, the telephonic nurse case manager is responsible for medically managing assigned caseload and applying clinical expertise to ensure individuals receive appropriate healthcare in order to return to work and normal activity in a timely and cost effective manner. Caseload may include catastrophic/complex medical/disability cases, lost time, and/or medical only claims. Also act as a clinical resource for field claim partners.
Ideally, candidate would live in one of Liberty Mutual's South Regional hub locations: Plano, TX or Tampa, FL. However, candidates residing in other Liberty Mutual Office locations may be considered.
- Follows Liberty Mutual's established standards and protocols to effectively manage assigned caseload of medical/disability cases and by applying clinical expertise assist to achieve optimal outcome and to facilitate claim resolution and disposition.
- Effectively communicates with injured employees, medical professionals, field claims staff, attorneys, and others to obtain information, and to negotiate medical treatment and return to work plans using critical thinking skills, clinical expertise and other resources as needed to achieve an optimal case outcome.
- Utilizes the Nursing Process (assessment, diagnosis, planning, intervention and evaluation) to facilitate medical management to attain maximum medical improvement and return-to-work (RTW) per state jurisdictional requirements.
- Appropriately utilizes internal and external resources and referrals i.e., Utilization Review, Peer Review, Field Claims Specialists, Regional Medical Director Consults, and Vocational Rehabilitation to achieve best possible case outcome.
- Follows general technical direction from nurse manager, senior medical and disability case manager and/or CCMU staff to resolve highly complex medical and/or RTW issues and/or successfully manage catastrophic injuries. Documents all RN activities accurately, concisely and on a timely basis. This includes documenting the medical and disability case management strategies for claim resolution, based on clinical expertise.
- Adheres to confidentiality policy. Appropriately applies clinical expertise to claims and delivers services in an efficient and effective manner. Accurately and appropriately documents billable time for work performed. Achieves annual chargeable time goal. Handles special projects as assigned.
- May conduct in-person visits on assigned cases with injured employees, medical professions and the employer to assess medical recovery, physical capabilities, RTW barriers, physical job requirements, modified duty opportunities.
- Ability to analyze and make sound nursing judgments and to accurately document activities.
- Strong communication skills in order to build relationships with injured employees, medical professionals, employers, field claims staff and others.
- Good negotiation skills to effectively establish target return to work dates and coordinate medical care.
- Knowledge of state, local and federal laws related to health care delivery preferred.
- Personal computer knowledge and proficiency in general computer applications such as Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Degree from an accredited nursing school required (prefer Bachelor of Science in Nursing).
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of clinical nursing experience; prefer previous orthopedic, emergency room, critical care, home care or rehab care experience.
- Previous medical case management experience a plus.
- Must also have current unrestricted registered nurse (R.N.) license in the state where the position is based and other assigned states as required by law.
- Must have additional professional certifications, such as CCM, COHN, CRRN, etc., where required by WC law.