Claims Attorney III
Claims Attorney III - Progressive Home
Pay Grade - 47
The Claims Attorney III is the primary source of all aspects of legal claim support, process, consultation and education for the Claims Organization or process/corporate functional area in a moderately to highly complex legal environment or subject matter. The Claims Attorney III collaborates with Claims Management to manage the outside defense counsel panel. Identifies legal training needs for the Claim Organization or process/corporate functional area and participates in the creation and delivery of legal training programs. Primarily responsible for claim support of moderately to highly complex files.
The Claims Attorney III acts as the primary legal counsel for the entire claims organization(s) or process/corporate functional area in moderately to highly complex legal environments or subject matter. This position may have management responsibility for non-attorney personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides legal counsel to assigned client(s) regarding Claims issues. Such issues may include coverage, liability, damages and extra-contractual questions.
- Identifies legal risks to our insureds and Progressive and proposes risk remediation measures.
- May own a small volume of moderately to highly complex file inventory involving both litigated and non-litigated claims. Such inventory includes coverage and extra-contractual claims. Evaluates the risk presented, the scope of exposure and makes recommendations for resolution of the claim. The Claims Attorney III will not act as counsel of record.
- Interacts with others within Claims Legal, the Claims Department and other business areas within Progressive on state-specific claim-related and legal issues, involving our policy contract as well as our internal processes and procedures.
- Develops and delivers legal training.
- Participates, in conjunction with the claims business unit, in the hiring and supervision of outside defense counsel.
- Assists in responding to Department of Insurance inquiries, complaints and subpoenas.
- Assists with analysis of legislation, case law and regulations.
- May manage non-attorney personnel. May require performance management, compensation, reward planning and employee development.
- Occasional travel, including overnight, required.
- Extra hours may be required during business peaks or to meet deadlines.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Juris Doctorate required
- Admission to the bar of at least 1 state, preference to applicants with experience and licensed outside Florida
- 6+ years of legal experience including complex civil litigation experience or related corporate experience
- Trial and motion practice, multi-state research
- First-party homeowners insurance experience strongly preferred
- Excellent communications skills and negotiation skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload and to work with different groups within Progressive
- Sound analytical, problem solving, risk assessment, negotiation and legal skills
- Ability to work independently with a lower level of supervision, to include special projects, state or functional processes or procedures
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
- Annual Gainshare bonus based on company performance
- 401k which includes dollar-for-dollar company match of up to 6% that is 100% vested
- Dedication to work/life balance which includes flexible work arrangements
- Dynamic culture that encourages engagement, supports Employee Resource Groups, values your input and embraces a relaxed atmosphere
- Onsite gym and wellness programs with discounts & rewards
- Paid training, tuition assistance and career development.
- Casual dress (yes, you can wear jeans to work!)
- Healthcare standard benefits (medical, dental, vision)
** Sponsorship is not available for this position. **