Master Reinsur Financial Reporting Specialist
Sponsorship is not available for this position. ASI generally does not sponsor foreign national candidates for work authorization except for positions that in our determination require highly specialized knowledge and for which candidate sponsorship is appropriate.
American Strategic Insurance is a leading writer of Property and Casualty products. ASI offers Personal Lines Property products in over 40 states, and is currently in the process of expanding nationally. ASI is ranked a top employer in Florida, and in Tampa Bay, for many years. ASI is an independently-managed insurance company that is a member of the Progressive group of companies.
As a Master of Reinsurance, you will provide oversite and guidance on the Company's reinsurance accounting and reporting. Works with the business units to provide guidance on reinsurance on reinsurance agreements, risk transfer, reinsurance accounting and reporting systems, accounting and reporting for statutory and GAAP, and implementation of the accounting and reporting. Viewed as subject matter expert.
Essential Job Functions
- Develops, ensures adherence to and implements reinsurance financial policies and procedures that will improve the overall accounting, consistency, controls, process efficiency and effectiveness of reinsurance accounting and reporting.
- Provides technical guidance on new reinsurance agreements, accounting and implementation.
- Assesses the impact and makes decisions regarding financial reporting and reinsurance accounting of reinsurance agreements' impact on ASI/Progressive's business nuances such as reinsurance pooling, premium tax abatement impact, and intercompany reinsurance agreements.
- Initiates, negotiates and accounts for commutations.
- Researches, interprets and recommends accounting and reporting for reinsurance statutory and GAAP to management. Exercises judgement as it relates to ASI/Progressive's business and systems to provide optimum solutions for complex issues.
- Ability to work with broker regarding payments, settlements, reporting, etc.
- Will play vital role in implementation of reinsurance accounting system.
- Manages shifting deadlines.
- Provide exceptional attention to detail to insure high level of accuracy.
- Supervise and review including performance review.
- Extra hours may be required during business peaks or to meet seasonal deadlines.
- Weekend hours may be required.
- Comprehensive and expert knowledge of statutory and GAAP reinsurance accounting and financial reporting at practical and regulatory/financial reporting guidance level with the technical skills required to support
- Expert knowledge of reinsurance contract accounting and reporting administration
- In depth experience with reinsurance accounting and reporting systems
- Technical understanding of risk transfer under NAIC statutory guidelines and U.S. GAAP
- Advanced skills in Excel with knowledge of spreadsheet functionality including v-look-up, pivot tables, charts, graphing and macros
- In depth understanding and application of insurance sector, reinsurance and/or financial services and/or insurance sector accounting
- Strong negotiation and partnership skills, across all levels of management, with ability to influence and challenge decisions and processes
- Ability to gather data, perform analysis and present options using financial data for business decision-making
- Experience navigating change in a positive manner with both individuals and teams
- Experience working with all corporate levels including senior management and external contacts
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, detailed and deadline-oriented environment by balancing multiple priorities and resources simultaneously
- Excellent conflict resolution and facilitation skills with the ability to converse with senior business leaders about accounting and reporting regulation and its relevance to solving business problems
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting and eight years relevant experience in reinsurance accounting and reporting of large insurance/reinsurance corporation.
The physical requirements and working conditions listed below are representative of those required on the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Typical office environment requiring the use of typical office equipment (e.g., computers, phones, etc.). Computer keyboarding, computer monitor and mouse use including reaching forward, grasping, finger and wrist manipulation, and neck bending and turning; near vision is necessary for computer monitor use. If working in an Emerging Workspace, or similar working arrangement, lifting of laptop equipment, files and/or personal belongings weighing 10 lbs. or less is required.
- May require long periods of sitting
- May require prolonged repetitive use of the upper extremities
The ASI Culture is like no other. While ASI stands for "American Strategic Insurance," we also believe it stands for "Attitude, Speed and Innovation." It is through these principles we plan our day and measure our success. ASI/Progressive offers the confidence and stability that comes with working for a growing, always evolving organization. As an employee, you will enjoy an inclusive environment that embraces strategic thinking, drive and passion. ASI/Progressive employees also benefit from:
* Annual gainshare bonus of up to 40% of your salary; Progressive rewards each of us with an annual bonus based on company performance
* 401k which includes dollar-for-dollar company match of up to 6%
* Paid training, tuition assistance and career development
* Diverse, welcoming culture with Employee Resource Groups
* Onsite gym and wellness programs with discounts & rewards
* Healthcare onsite and standard benefits (medical, dental, vision)
* Dynamic company culture that encourages engagement, supports Employee Resource Groups, values your input and embraces a relaxed atmosphere