Claims Adjuster - Liability
American Strategic Insurance is a leading writer of Property and Casualty products. ASI offers Personal Lines Property products in over 40 states, and is currently in the process of expanding nationally. ASI is ranked a top employer in Florida, and in Tampa Bay, for many years. ASI is an independently-managed insurance company that is a member of the Progressive group of companies.Job Purpose
Ensures claims are fairly and accurately investigated and evaluated in accordance with established timelines, customer service standards, and quality standards. Responsible for coverage and damages analysis of property claims, which includes the ability to negotiate and complete settlements fairly and equitably with all parties.Essential Job Functions
Listed below are duties and responsibilities required on the job. Incumbents may perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Determines insurance coverage.
- Examines and appropriately interprets insureds' policies, forms in force, and other records.
- Interviews, telephones, and corresponds with insureds and other parties.
- Approves and adjusts estimates of damage and loss amounts.
- Determines extent of company's liability.
- Interviews, telephones, or corresponds with insureds and witnesses.
- Uses varying methods of investigation, including taking recorded statements, consulting with police, inspecting property damage, and reviewing documents.
- Identifies and communicates potential underwriting concerns.
- Estimates cost of repair, replacement, or compensation.
- Sets appropriate case reserves; revises case reserves in assigned files to cover probable costs.
- Submits assignments to vendors.
- Manages diaries and tasks in the Claims System.
- Prepares report of findings and negotiates settlement.
- Prepares settlement letters, denial letters, Reservation of Rights, and other letters as needed.
- Writes clear and concise diary notes, uses the Special Handling area, sets field assignments, sets and saves contacts, and makes payments.
- Recognizes the need for SIU involvement and identifies files for potential subrogation.
- Effectively manages pending files in accordance with Claims Best Practices.
- Appropriately applies knowledge of multiple state statutes, including the insurance code of ethics, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Determines whether a file has a valid Assignment of Benefits and handles accordingly.
- Effectively handles difficult calls from customers, vendors, and others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or experiences listed below are the minimum requirements for job entry.
- Bachelor's degree; four years of prior work experience with a history of high performance within financial services, customer service, construction, property management, or related field; or some combination thereof.
- Minimum one year of claims experience required. Property and casualty experience helpful.
Listed below are the requirements needed to be proficient in the job.
- Motivation to lead an adjuster's life.
- Willingness to work flexible shifts, 7 days per week with 12-hour shifts for major catastrophes, and overtime as needed for claim spikes.
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly, pay attention to details, think through problems logically, apply high-school-level math skills, and make appropriate decisions.
- Demonstrates integrity.
- Possesses strong English vocabulary, basic grammar skills, and professional decorum. Writing is clear and easy-to-read. Bi-lingual skills helpful.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates active listening skills through effective use of questions, reflection, and empathy.
- Demonstrates a bias toward exceptional customer service; experience providing customer service preferred.
- Possesses strengths in negotiation.
- Demonstrates the ability to get along with work associates.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word required. Proficiency in Excel preferred.
- Adjuster 620 License required.
- Basic knowledge of insurance and adjusting.
- Basic knowledge of residential construction, roofing, and repair techniques strongly preferred.
- Experience preparing repair estimates in Xactimate or another software package
The physical requirements and working conditions listed below are representative of those required on the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Typical office environment requiring the use of typical office equipment (e.g., computers, phones, etc.). Computer keyboarding, computer monitor and mouse use including reaching forward, grasping, finger and wrist manipulation, and neck bending and turning; near vision is necessary for computer monitor use. If working in an Emerging Workspace, or similar working arrangement, lifting of laptop equipment, files and/or personal belongings weighing 10 lbs. or less is required.
- May require long periods of sitting
- May require prolonged repetitive use of the upper extremities
The ASI Culture is like no other. While ASI stands for "American Strategic Insurance," we also believe it stands for "Attitude, Speed and Innovation." It is through these principles we plan our day and measure our success. This can be seen through the way our team members interact with each other, the fan letters from our agents and customers, to our success during a time where other companies have struggled.
ASI offers outstanding benefits, health insurance for employees and dependents, dental, vision, up to 6% matching on our 401(k) retirement plan, earned time off, life insurance, and much more!
** Sponsorship is not available for this position. **