The Business Analyst position is responsible for working within the Systems & IT Team. This individual is responsible for developing system requirement specifications, coordinating development to meet business or other requirements, researching problems, and planning solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the liaison between the customer community (internal) and the software development team through which requirements flow.
- Develops requirements specifications according to standard templates, using natural language.
- Collaborates with developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Critically evaluates information gathered from multiple sources, break down high-level information into details, and generates up from low-level information to a general understanding.
- Performs trend analysis to determine cause as well as trouble-shoot issues related to response time.
- Collects requirements from stakeholders, analyzing reports, interacting with designers to understand system limitations, identifies solutions to business problems, specifies requirements in enough detail to allow them to be successfully implemented by a project team to meet the business needs.
- Identifies problem areas and recommends ways to revise and improve efficiencies and processes.
- Successfully engages in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Works independently with users to define concepts and under direction of project managers.
- Performs other duties as required.
This job description has been prepared to indicate the general nature and level of the work that the employees perform within their classification. This description is not and cannot be interpreted as an inventory of all the duties, tasks, responsibilities and qualifications required for the employees assigned to this job.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or related discipline required.
- 1 – 3 years of Business Analyst and/or Project Management experience required.
- Strong analytical and project management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements.
- Prior experience in the insurance industry preferred (Property & Casualty ideal).
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines efficiently and with high quality.
- Must possess strong organizational skills with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Must be flexible and able to adapt in a changing business environment.
- Must possess a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group (executives, managers, and subject matter experts).
- Must be proficient in the following: Microsoft Office 2003 and 2007 (Excel, Access, Word, Power Point and Visio).
Licenses and / or Certifications:
Systems certifications and / or licenses are preferred.