Accountant- Regulatory Reporting
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what theyve earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, were fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, were better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. Were seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on.
How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
This position is responsible for supporting Securities accounting and reporting functions for Brighthouse Financial legal entities. The key responsibilities include participating in the monthly accounting close process and the preparation of investment security results, schedules and related disclosures included in the Companys Form 10Ks, Form 10Qs, Quarterly Financial Supplement (QFS); Statutory quarterly and annual filings; and periodic rating agency surveys. These financial reports support the Companys ongoing operations, SEC & insurance statutory requirements and registered insurance product filings. The position requires an understanding of GAAP, SEC and Statutory reporting requirements.
- Prepare monthly accounting reconciliation reports for GAAP and STAT
- Review and post journal entries provided by the accounting vendor
- Responsible for working with the accounting vendor to ensure correct accounting is generated
- Prepare securities disclosures in the 10-K, 10-Q, QFS, and stand-alone audited financial statements for on a GAAP & Statutory basis
- Prepare securities disclosures for the US Treasury and rating agencies.
- Prepare Statutory Blue Book investment security schedules.
- Analyze and validate data from internal and external sources.
- Develop accurate and timely ad hoc reports.
- Maintain accurate, meaningful and updated technical and non-technical documentation pertaining to all aspects of responsibilities.
- Respond to questions from external and internal auditors, front office and financial reporting teams regarding investment security and other related items.
- Implement new accounting pronouncements or disclosure requirements.
- Other tasks as needed.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or other related fields
- 5+ years of experience in a public or private company environment
- Completion of or progress towards CPA or MBA preferred
- Knowledge of GAAP & Statutory accounting
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (macros, pivot tables and advanced formulas)
- Self-motivated and eager to learn with limited guidance
- Intermediate data management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Investment experience preferred
- Experience with financial reporting systems (SAP preferred)