Accountant - Regulatory Reporting
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what theyve earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, were fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, were better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. Were seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on.
How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
The position supports Brighthouse Financials reinsurance subsidiaries accounting and reporting functions. Coordinates with team for successful completion of monthly close, analysis, eliminations, review/preparation of the financial statements and participation in unit projects to maintain and improve business continuity. Works with reporting requirements and guidelines of applicable regulatory agencies to maintain records and prepare required financial reports.
- On-going tracking of hedged items for derivative accounting
- Preparing documentation of processes and controls associated with the hedge accounting program
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and year-end regulatory reporting, financial statements and related information.
- Reviews/complete monthly/quarterly reconciliations.
- Research variances and reviews monthly/quarterly analytics
- Responsible for assigned process improvements, ongoing initiatives and projects and communication with management on progress of such items
- Assists in implementing accounting changes to comply with regulatory accounting changes
- Review/prepare monthly journal entries, reconciliations and monthly financial reporting.
- Respond to questions from external and internal auditors, front office and financial reporting teams regarding qualifying derivatives, documentation & testing
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- BS/BA in accounting or finance
- 3 or more years of experience in financial accounting and reporting.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently
- Knowledge of STAT and GAAP accounting practices/procedures
- Highly proficient in Excel and must be able to learn other systems used quickly as the projects will require a lot of research and analysis