Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what theyve earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, were fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, were better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. Were seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
This position manages the GAAP & STAT Accounting and Reporting team for Brighthouse Financials investments in derivative instruments. The company uses derivatives to manage its exposures to changes in interest rates, foreign currency exchange rates, equity markets and credit risk across its diverse investment portfolio as well as hedging liabilities.
- Responsible for managing the Derivative Accounting & Reporting team
- Working with accounting vendor to ensure GAAP and STAT accounting for multiple derivative instruments are implemented correctly. Post implementation responsible for monthly review of derivative accounting to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Support vendor with initial design of reports for GAAP & STAT financial disclosures (including schedules) and ongoing review of quarterly/annual disclosures and management reports pertaining to derivatives
- Responsible for developing reports for derivative analytics and supporting accurate and timely reporting for management
- Maintain ongoing relationship with vendor and support implementation of accounting & reporting for any new derivative instruments or new accounting pronouncements impacting derivatives
- Respond to questions from external and internal auditors, front office and financial reporting teams regarding derivative reporting.
- Participate in the effort to set team objectives that align with the needs of key customers (e.g., Chief Accounting Officer, Head of Derivatives Trading, CFO of Investments), monitor progress against those objectives and manage priorities in response to emerging and competing initiatives
- Manage performance, hiring and termination processes and succession planning for the team
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Masters degree in Accounting with CPA is highly desired; Bachelors degree in Accounting preferred.
- 8+ years of GAAP & STAT accounting and reporting experience in a public or private company environment is preferred; Previous experience working in derivative accounting and reporting is highly desired
- Organizational skills and ability to track various issues at one time
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Access) is preferred