Application Security Engineer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Application Security Engineer will be responsible for integrating security into the development of Allstates applications. The Application Security Engineer will work closely with the product and software development team to threat model, vulnerability scan, and pen test the early software, system, and network architecture and identify required control points in the application stack. The Application Security Engineer will also work closely with developers to diagnose, document, and remediate application security vulnerabilities. The Application Security Engineer will also be responsible for evaluating, recommending, and implementing application security related software in an automated continuous integration/deployment environment.
- Work closely with application development and platform teams to help formulate and implement a strategy for software security that is tailored to the specific risks facing the organization, including threat modeling and applications security advisement services.
- Develop and maintain a balanced application security program based on a well-defined application security framework
- Conduct application security assessments / penetration tests and implement tools for dynamic/automated code reviews
- Ensure application design and implementation best-practice with role-based and appropriate access standards, as well as integration with Identity and Access Management environments.
- Ensure compliance with society, regulatory, and industry standards for application security.
- Continuously evaluate the organizations existing application security practices, define and measure security-related activities, and demonstrating concrete improvements to the application assurance program within the organization.
- Provide secure application development training to developers and provide guidance on the development of web-based training for ongoing awareness.
- Conduct code reviews and penetration testing
- Develop and maintain unit and integration tests designed to ensure security controls are tested on every build
The ideal candidate would be 50% programmer and 50% hacker. Examples of qualifications that resemble this profile are as follows:
- 3-5 years experience in a software development field such as Software Developer, Architect, Software Quality Assurance, or Application Security Engineer
- Highly proficient in at least one of the following development languages: Java, .NET, Node.js, or Python
- Possess a strong understanding of application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven etc
- Creative, organized, responsive, and highly thorough problem solver
- Possess strong business acumen with ability to work with application development, QA and security teams.
- Possess a restlessness or desire to break into things.
- Knowledge of the OWASP Top 10
- Strong self-starter who has the ability to operate independently.
- Has solid understanding and experience with establishing software development policies across an organization.
- Excellent oral/written presentation skills with ability to communicate effectively with senior executive leadership; proficiency in preparation of presentations, analytical reports, and documents regarding program operational status, achievement and performance.
- Understanding and Passion for Agile/XP/Scrum/Kanban
- Understanding of Test Driven Development built on User Stories
- Understanding of Continuous Integration/Testing/Delivery
- Familiarity with Metasploit, Burp Suite, Fuzzing, Gaunlt, and Jenkins is preferred
- Familiarity with code reviews and penetration testing preferred.
- College degree with advanced degree preferred.
- OSCP, OSCE, or OSWE Certifications are a major plus.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.