Claims Adjuster - Inside Desk FL
Ensures claims are fairly and accurately investigated and evaluated in accordance with established timelines, customer service standards, and quality standards. Responsible for coverage and damages analysis of property claims, which includes the ability to negotiate and complete settlements fairly and equitably with all parties.
Essential Job Functions
- Determines insurance coverage.
- Examines and appropriately interprets insureds’ policies, forms in force, and other records.
- Interviews, telephones, and corresponds with insureds and other parties.
- Approves and adjusts estimates of damage and loss amounts.
- Determines extent of company's liability.
- Interviews, telephones, or corresponds with insureds and witnesses.
- Uses varying methods of investigation, including taking recorded statements, consulting with police, inspecting property damage, and reviewing documents.
- Identifies and communicates potential underwriting concerns.
- Estimates cost of repair, replacement, or compensation.
- Sets appropriate case reserves; revises case reserves in assigned files to cover probable costs.
- Submits assignments to vendors.
- Manages diaries and tasks in the Claims System.
- Prepares report of findings and negotiates settlement.
- Prepares settlement letters, denial letters, Reservation of Rights, and other letters as needed.
- Writes clear and concise diary notes, uses the Special Handling area, sets field assignments, sets and saves contacts, and makes payments.
- Recognizes the need for SIU involvement and identifies files for potential subrogation.
- Effectively manages pending files in accordance with Claims Best Practices.
- Appropriately applies knowledge of multiple state statutes, including the insurance code of ethics, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Determines whether a file has a valid Assignment of Benefits and handles accordingly.
- Effectively handles difficult calls from customers, vendors, and others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree; four years of prior work experience with a history of high performance within financial services, customer service, construction, property management, or related field; or some combination thereof. Minimum one year of claims experience required. Property and casualty experience helpful.
- Motivation to lead an adjuster’s life.
- Willingness to work flexible shifts, 7 days per week with 12-hour shifts for major catastrophes, and overtime as needed for claim spikes.
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly, pay attention to details, think through problems logically, apply high-school-level math skills, and make appropriate decisions.
- Demonstrates integrity.
- Possesses strong English vocabulary, basic grammar skills, and professional decorum. Writing is clear and easy-to-read. Bi-lingual skills helpful.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates active listening skills through effective use of questions, reflection, and empathy.
- Demonstrates a bias toward exceptional customer service; experience providing customer service preferred.
- Possesses strengths in negotiation.
- Demonstrates the ability to get along with work associates.
The ASI Culture and Benefits
The ASI Culture is like no other. While ASI stands for "American Strategic Insurance," we also believe it stands for "Attitude, Speed and Innovation." It is through these principles we plan our day and measure our success. This can be seen through the way our team members interact with each other, the fan letters from our agents and customers, to our success during a time where other companies have struggled.
ASI offers outstanding benefits, health insurance for employees and dependents, dental, vision, up to 6% matching on our 401(k) retirement plan, earned time off, life insurance, and much more!